Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Disabled NYC Newbie

Exclamation Wheelchair accessible / ADA Compliant Housing in Manhattan

Hi All!
I will be moving to Manhattan in September and just completed my first investigation of wheelchair accessible housing in NYC. The bathrooms seem particularly difficult, but I definitely saw people in powerchairs getting around the city, so people must live in accessible apartments. Does anyone have information about where these apartments are and how to find them?

Any information would be super helpful!

thank you so much!!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Welcome to New York City, Park :) Check out the New York State Housing Search web site at http://www.socialserve.com/tenant/in..._id=4125&ch=NY (be sure to use the Accessible Apartment tab) to see what's available. Also check http://seniorhousing.state.ny.us/search/begin.htm (though the link wasn't working when I checked it last)

You should also contact

Center for Independence of the Disabled in NY
841 Broadway, Suite 205
New York, N.Y. 10003
(212) 674-2300 V & TTY
(212) 254-5953 Fax
cidny1@aol.com

or

Harlem Independent Living Center
5-15 West 125th Street
New York, N.Y. 10027
(212) 369-2371
(212) 369-6475 TDD
RELAY# 1-800-421-1220
(212) 369-9283 Fax
harlemilc@aol.com

Unfortunately, most accessible public housing has a waiting list and many people with disabilities end up living in inadequate housing and relying on PCAs to compensate. Good luck, and keep us posted on how your plans are progressing!
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Disabled NYC Newbie

Hi Michelle,
Thanks so much for the info. I had already contacted all of those organizations but no options turned up, unfortunately. What do people do? I just can't imagine that there is such a lack of rental possibilities. Do you know of landlords or management groups that are willing to make accommodations and adjustments to existing apartments?
Thanks!
Park
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Disabled NYC Newbie

Hi All!

I stumbled on this forum while trying to find an accessible building for a client of mine. As a NYC real estate agent, I was shocked to find that there's no simple database of accessible buildings, and my company's own database doesn't mention accessibility at all. For me to find my client a suitable apartment I had to literally walk down every block, side street, and back alley of my client's target neighborhood and physically inspect every building! Tiring, of course, but I've learned to now keep my own database of accessible buildings for future reference.

I just started doing so but now I take note of accessibility for every building that I see, and am doing my best to report this back to the apartment seeking public. Please check out my website for it's WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY section, or give me a call - if I don't have a certain neighborhood mapped out, I'll hit the streets (and alleys) to map out the neighborhood you're interested in.

Please don't view this as spam, I'm truly trying to help people find an apartment that works for them.

Sam Sundaram
347-989-4SAM
www.nycbysam.com
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Thank you Sam, this is exactly the type of post I'd like to see here. I'll add your site to the Housing Resources section :)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Disabled NYC Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Thank you Sam, this is exactly the type of post I'd like to see here. I'll add your site to the Housing Resources section :)
WOW- Thanks so much! I sincerely appreciate that and will strive to earn that honor. I took it on as a personal mission to figure this out, and the only answer is to physically go out and inspect every building and to take detailed notes ("are there steps to the lobby? Are there steps leading to the mailbox?"), simple questions but with answers that require non-stop, thorough work in the middle of the winter! So it's not impossible, just a lot of work - and I'm a relative rookie so I'm busting my butt to make this work, after being a victim of the recession for so long that I took the choice to work a job with no base salary.

That's again!

Sam Sundaram
nycbysam.com
347-989-4SAM
rentals / sales / nyc
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Disabled NYC Newbie

Default Wheelchair Accessible Apartments

I am trying to help my cousin find a wheelchair accessible apartment to rent in Queens, NY but have had no luck! Does anyone have any tips?

Many thanks,
Erin
Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Question I just found out about a possibility in Bklyn, move quick, be lucky!

I just saw the following ad in the June dead-tree edition of Able magazine:
Beginning on June 1, 2013
Marien-Helm of Sunset Park, a 167 unit building including 14 accessible units located at 4520 4th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11220 is reopening its waiting list for rental to single people aged 62 years of age or more and/or mobility impaired persons, with limited income.
Qualifications will be based on Section * Federal Guidelines. Interested persons my obtain an application.
Writing to:
Marien-Heim of Sunset Park
4520-4th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11220.
Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Or in person at Marien-Heim of Sunset Park
4520 Forth Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11220
Monday through Friday 9 am to noon
Completed applications sent by REGULAR MAIL ONLY to the PO Box indicated on the application
mail must be received by July 15, 2013
500 Applications will be selected by LOTTERY.